Pensive Frog

A melange of cooking, baking, knitting, craftyness, and TV-aholicism.

Monday, October 11, 2004

It's probably not a good idea

To eat random mushrooms one finds in the bushes. These were hiding at the Meerkerk Rhododendron Gardens on Whidbey Island. Apparently there is no way to tell poisonous mushrooms from safe 'shrooms, though it's commonly believed that if you dip a silver spoon into the cooking water of poisonous mushrooms, the spoon will turn black (tarnish, I guess). My first question is, why would anyone cook mushrooms by boiling them? Eugh. My amateur guess is that these mushrooms are Pholiota terrestris. I wouldn't eat them if I were you. Unless you like cramps.